This Is Baku Tours – Baku airport, also known as Heydar Aliyev International Airport, is the main airport serving Baku, the capital city of Azerbaijan. It is located about 25 km from the city center and is the busiest airport in Azerbaijan, serving both domestic and international flights.
Design of Airport
Baku airport, officially known as the Heydar Aliyev International Airport, was designed by Arup, an engineering and design firm based in the UK. The airport was built on the site of the old airport, which had become outdated and could no longer accommodate the growing number of passengers and flights.
The new airport was designed to reflect the modern and dynamic nature of Azerbaijan, while also incorporating elements of the country’s rich cultural heritage. The airport’s interior features a modern and spacious design, with high ceilings and natural light, creating an open and airy atmosphere for travelers. The main terminal is designed in a U-shape, which allows for easy navigation and quick access to the various amenities and services available.
One of the most striking features of Baku airport is its iconic roof, which is inspired by the shape of a falcon’s wings. The roof spans the entire length of the terminal building, creating a grand and imposing entrance that welcomes visitors to Azerbaijan. The roof is made up of 32 diamond-shaped steel panels, each with a unique shape and size, that create a stunning and dynamic visual effect.
In addition to its unique design, Baku airport also incorporates a number of sustainable features, including energy-efficient lighting, water-saving fixtures, and a recycling program. The airport is also equipped with state-of-the-art technology, including automated check-in and baggage handling systems, free Wi-Fi, and charging stations throughout the terminal.
Overall, Baku airport’s design is a stunning example of modern architecture that seamlessly blends form and function. From its iconic roof to its spacious interior and cutting-edge technology, the airport is a true reflection of Azerbaijan’s commitment to innovation and progress.
Arriving at Baku airport
If you’re traveling to Baku, you’re likely to arrive at the Heydar Aliyev International Airport. Upon arrival, you’ll go through passport control and pick up your luggage before exiting the airport. You can then take a taxi, bus, or shuttle to your hotel in Baku.
- Visa on Arrival:
Citizens of many countries can obtain a visa on arrival at Baku airport. This means that you can apply for a visa when you arrive in Baku, without having to obtain one in advance. The process is fairly straightforward, but it’s important to note that not all nationalities are eligible for a visa on arrival, and the requirements and fees may vary depending on your country of origin.
To apply for a visa on arrival, you’ll need to have a valid passport, a return ticket, and sufficient funds to cover your stay in Azerbaijan. You’ll also need to fill out a visa application form and provide a passport-sized photo. Once you’ve completed the application process, you’ll need to pay the visa fee and wait for your visa to be processed. This usually takes around 15-30 minutes, but it can take longer during peak travel periods.
The price of a visa on arrival at Baku airport can vary depending on your nationality and the length of your stay, but it typically costs around $20-30 USD for a single-entry visa with a validity of 30 days. However, it’s important to note that visa fees are subject to change, so it’s best to check with the Azerbaijani embassy or consulate in your home country for the most up-to-date information.
- Visa Check:
When you arrive at Baku airport, you’ll need to go through a visa check before you can enter the country. This involves presenting your passport and visa to an immigration officer, who will check to ensure that your documents are in order and that you meet the requirements for entry into Azerbaijan.
It’s important to make sure that you have all the necessary documents before you arrive at the airport, as failure to provide the required documents can result in delays or even denial of entry. If you’re unsure about the visa requirements for your country, you can check with the Azerbaijani embassy or consulate in your home country or consult with a travel agent to ensure that you have everything you need before you travel.
Overall, the visa on arrival process at Baku airport is fairly straightforward, but it’s important to do your research in advance to ensure that you meet the requirements and have all the necessary documents before you arrive. By following the necessary procedures and providing the required documentation, you can make your arrival and entry into Azerbaijan as smooth and hassle-free as possible.
Departing from Baku airport
If you’re departing from Baku airport, you’ll need to check in at the departure terminal. You’ll then go through security and passport control before boarding your flight. There are plenty of shops, cafes, and restaurants at the airport where you can grab a bite or do some last-minute shopping before your flight.
Facilities at Baku airport
Baku airport has a range of facilities to make your travel experience more comfortable. There are several lounges where you can relax before your flight, as well as duty-free shops, cafes, and restaurants. The airport also offers free Wi-Fi, currency exchange services, and luggage storage facilities.
- Restaurants and cafes: There are several restaurants and cafes located throughout Baku airport, offering a variety of options for both sit-down meals and grab-and-go snacks. Whether you’re in the mood for a hot meal, a sandwich, or just a cup of coffee, you’re sure to find something to suit your taste.
- Duty-free shopping: Baku airport features a wide range of duty-free shops where you can purchase everything from perfumes and cosmetics to electronics and souvenirs. Prices are often significantly lower than what you would pay outside the airport, so it’s a great opportunity to pick up some gifts for friends and family or treat yourself to a luxury item.
- ATMs and currency exchange: There are several ATMs and currency exchange counters located throughout in the airport, making it easy to access cash or exchange currency as needed. Be sure to check the exchange rates before exchanging money to ensure you’re getting a fair deal.
- Lounges: Baku airport features several lounges where you can relax and unwind before your flight. These lounges offer amenities such as comfortable seating, complimentary snacks and drinks, and access to Wi-Fi and charging stations. Some lounges also offer showers and other amenities for an additional fee.
- Wi-Fi: Baku airport offers free Wi-Fi throughout the terminal, making it easy to stay connected and catch up on work or stay in touch with loved ones while you wait for your flight.
Overall, Baku airport offers a range of facilities and amenities designed to make your travel experience as comfortable and convenient as possible. Whether you’re looking for a place to grab a meal, do some shopping, or just relax before your flight, you’re sure to find what you need at Baku airport.
How to getting to and from Baku airport
If you’re staying at a hotel in Baku, you can easily get to and from the airport by taking a taxi or using public transportation. There are also shuttle services available that can take you directly to your hotel. If you’re going on a Baku tour, many tour operators provide airport transfers as part of their package.
- Taxis: Taxis are a convenient option for getting to and from Baku airport. There are always taxis available outside the arrivals terminal, and the journey to the city center takes around 30 minutes. It’s a good idea to agree on a fare with the driver before getting into the taxi.
- Public transportation: There are also several public transportation options for getting to and from Baku airport. The 116 and 120 buses run regularly between the airport and the city center, and there is also a metro station located near the airport.
- Shuttle services: If you’re staying at a hotel in Baku, many hotels offer shuttle services that can take you directly from the airport to your hotel. There are also private shuttle services available that can be booked in advance.
- Car rentals: If you prefer to drive yourself, there are several car rental companies located at The airport. You can rent a car for your entire stay in Baku or just for the journey from the airport to your hotel.
It’s always a good idea to plan ahead and book your transportation in advance, especially if you’re arriving late at night or traveling during peak tourist season. And if you’re going on a Baku tour, many tour operators provide airport transfers as part of their package, so be sure to check with your tour operator to see if this is an option for you.
Baku airport is a modern and efficient airport that serves as a gateway to the beautiful city of Baku. Whether you’re arriving or departing, the airport offers a range of facilities and services to make your travel experience more comfortable. And with plenty of transportation options available, getting to and from Baku airport is easy and convenient. NTB